At Austen Cottage, the staff team work to promote the development of maintaining and developing relationships, self-awareness, self-esteem, academic and vocational achievements and independence.
This is achieved by providing a homely environment where young people have their own space, combined with skilled staff who offer a consistent and supportive approach towards self-management. Young people are offered a wide variety of new experiences where they can access the wider community, education and work placements.
We support young people to achieve their full potential and to step down into foster care or safely return home and help prepare them for independent living and further education, training, or work.
The outcomes we help children achieve include:
- The ability to make, maintain and develop positive attachments and relationships
- Self-awareness, self-management, and positive thinking
- A positive self-image and an enhanced self-esteem
- The highest possible level of academic and vocational achievement
- Emotional resilience and regulation
- A sense of personal competence, self-care and independence
- The ability to make positive life choices
- The ability recognise risk and keep themselves safe.
- The pursuit of hobbies, talents, and further interests.