Job Title: Cook
To be based at: Arc Oakbridge School, Birmingham
Responsible to: School Office Manager
Hours of work: 8 hours per day, 8:00am–4pm
Some flexibility in working hours may be required
Arc Oakbridge School, owned by Kedleston Schools Ltd (Kedleston), is an independent day school offering specialist education to young people with behavioural issues including Autistic Spectrum. The post will be based at Arc Oakbridge School. The post holder will carry out duties as described below.
Kedleston is an independent group of schools and homes for children with a range of special educational needs. The post holder will uphold the mission, values and goals of the Group and School as expressed in the Vision and Mission Statement.
The post holder will contribute to the provision of a quality service to meet standards in line with agreed procedures and provide a warm welcome to students, staff and visitors.
Key Results Areas:
1. Personal Hygiene & Appearance
Observe good personal hygiene and be of well-groomed appearance at all times.
- Familiarise yourself with the Food Hygiene Manual and follow the standards stipulated.
- Maintain a clean, hygienic and organised working environment.
- Wear minimal make-up and jewellery, non-slip, enclosed clean black shoes & clean clothing as per current dress-code.
- Appropriate uniform and PPE will be provided.
- Nails should be kept short and be free from nail varnish.
- Use the lockers and pegs provided for outer clothing and personal items.
- Wear minimal fragrance and jewellery.
- Long hair should be tied back or worn up and an appropriate hat should be worn.
- Report any illness or symptoms of food poisoning or food-borne disease immediately to the School Office Manager or Head teacher to safeguard the health of others.
- Ensure any cuts/broken skin are covered with blue, waterproof dressings.
- Ensure thorough and frequent hand-washing as detailed in the Food Hygiene Manual.
- Remove your uniform apron in the kitchen before using the toilet accommodation.
2. Food Preparation & Kitchen Operations
Undertake all tasks as trained and directed so that high standards of food hygiene and health and safety are met.
- Produce and prepare food to comply with the menu in accordance with the food hygiene standards. This will include preparing cold food, plating warm food, hot and cold drinks plus any packed lunches, group catering and event catering as required. Breakfast, break and lunch.
- Prepare food for functions and events.
- Check food deliveries as required.
- Ensure all stock is stored appropriately and used in rotation.
- Complete stock taking as required & prepare ‘shopping lists’ as necessary.
- Order stock when required.
- General kitchen cleaning to follow cleaning schedule.
- Washing up, manually and by machine.
- Ensuring the kitchen is locked at all times.
3. Dining Room
Ensure the Dining Room is presented to high standards so that the students, staff & visitors enjoy a comfortable and welcoming environment.
- All areas are clean and tidy.
- All food products are attractively displayed.
4. Customer Care
Provide high standards of customer care.
- Interact with students, staff and visitors in a friendly and helpful manner, having tolerance to the needs of our students.
- Participate in staff training.
- Ensure tables are laid and cleared in a timely manner.
5. Stock Control
Ensure that all accounting procedures, daily and weekly are handled in accordance with our policies and procedures and with all audit requirements are adhered to.
- Complete stock taking as required.
- Managing the kitchen budget for the year, keeping within the boundaries given.
6. Food Hygiene & Health & Safety
All staff are expected to observe all health and safety at work regulations.
- Ensure that all rubbish bins are emptied and all kitchen rubbish is disposed of or recycled correctly in the appropriate bins.
- Report all incidents to the School Secretary.
- Report any unsafe practices or broken machinery/equipment to the line manager, so that remedial action can be taken immediately.
- Use of all equipment as training observing all safe practices, so that accidents are avoided
- Follow COSHH procedures
- Participate in Level 2 food hygiene training and safety training as required
- Record keeping – ensure that necessary checks are made and recorded in accordance with regulations.
7. Any Other Duties
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be requested of a Cook.
- Take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of others who may be affected by their acts of omissions at work.
In addition, all employees are expected to work within the terms of their contract of employment and adhere to policies and practices as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Holds Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate
Good verbal communication skills
A team player
A ‘can do’ attitude
Good written communication skills
Awareness of food handling procedures
Has worked as part of a team
Has previous experience in a similar role