Post title: Teaching Assistant
Setting: Leaways School
Salary: £22,558 to £24,233 depending on experience
Job start date: 01/09/2021
Leaways School is seeking to appoint a Teaching Assistant. We welcome applications from Graduates seeking experience within SEN School.
Leaways School provides a safe learning environment for children and young people with social, emotional and mental health difficulties including autism and an EHC Plan. We also have a separate specialist area to support young people on the autistic spectrum (ASC) and a Primary unit taking children from 7 years old. We aim to offer as close to a mainstream experience as possible but provide the additional care and support needed around each young person to enable them to thrive. Our mission aims to engage children and young people by: Rewarding positive achievement, behaviour and academic success;
Providing children and young people with essential life skills in preparation for adulthood Create and maintain transparent relationships with children and young people, parents and professionals.
Main roles and responsibilities include:
- To be part of a classroom team, under the direction of the class teacher and or learning mentors.
- To work alongside the teacher/SLT/Pastoral teams to maintain a purposeful, orderly, supportive, stimulating and safe environment.
- To support student’s learning in lessons and take a proactive approach to applying a range of strategies in order to engage students in lessons.
- To deliver small group/1:1 interventions where necessary under the guidance of the teacher, pastoral team, SENCO and/or therapeutic team.
- To assist with the development of resources/displays for teaching activities, alongside teaching/pastoral staff.
- To assist staff in delivering educational programmes, designed by the teacher, mentors and the therapists working in school.
- To take part in team meetings, reporting on pupil performance
- To support pupils with their personal and behavioural development
- To supervise pupils during leisure time including whilst learning outside the classroom. (Outdoor and enrichment curriculum learning activities)
- To be aware of the school’s child protection policies and procedures and report immediately to the class teacher and or the head teacher any concerns about a pupil’s wellbeing
- To use experienced staff as a source of advice and guidance in developing own practice
- Use communication strategies as identified in IEPs/pastoral and positive behaviour plans and specialist programmes.
- An English/Maths qualification at level 2 demonstrating English language fluency or the ability and willingness to work towards this.
- Experience working with children or adults with disabilities/SEMH/ASC
- Willing to undertake training and other CPD activities in order to further develop the specialist skills needed for the role
- Understands safeguarding procedures relating to the role
- Willing to participate in full range of curriculum activities
- Willing to put our students needs at the centre of all they do at work
In return we offer a competitive salary and benefits, ongoing opportunities for continued professional development and training, a friendly, passionate and committed team of colleagues and access to employee perks, including cycle to work scheme, discounts on shopping and cinema tickets, birthday treats, employee of the month award and enhanced pension contributions for qualified teaching staff.
We would love to hear from you if you feel that you meet the requirements for the role and share our passion and commitment to developing confident and capable young people by meeting their educational, health and social care needs in structured, nurturing school and home provisions.
Kedleston Group Limited is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check. We are an equal opportunities employer welcoming applications from all sections of the community.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Note for recruitment agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a preferred supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!