Arc Oakbridge School, Hockley, Birmingham
Hours – 08:00 to 16:00 (40 hours Monday to Friday during school term time)
Salary - £18,138 per annum (pro-rata £15,700)
Start date – asap
The School Cook will have experience in a food environment within a school setting and will carry relevant qualifications in catering for a school kitchen. All staff are expected to interact with the children in a caring and professional manner. The role will possibly include some cookery and nutrition teaching under direction of a qualified teacher for our pupils and any applicant will need to show willingness to work with the young people beyond the basic role of a school cook. The school will need to obtain a five-star rating for food and hygiene rating for the business place.
- Current food hygiene certificate (level 2 minimum) with up to date knowledge and understanding of food hygiene requirements
- Experience of catering for multiple food preferences and varying dietary requirements
- Experience of catering for large groups producing healthy meals on time and to a budget
- Ability to design quality menus with the input of the student ambassadors
- Ability to monitor costs and work within a budget
- Ability to work to a high standard with minimal supervision on a day to day basis
- A strong understanding and knowledge of record keeping
- Previous experience of working with vulnerable or disadvantaged young people (Desirable)
- First aid qualification (Desirable)
- Interest in special educational needs particularly with reference to autism and social and emotional difficulties
- A desire to help teach pupils in the kitchen and encourage pupils to complete work experience in the kitchen environment
Key responsibilities include:
- Plan, prepare, cook and serve food to meet student’s needs and in accordance with food hygiene standards. This will include preparing cold food, plating warm food, hot and cold drinks plus any packed lunches, group catering and event catering as required. Breakfast, break and lunch.
- Prepare food for functions and events.
- Check food deliveries as required.
- Ensure all stock is stored appropriately and used in rotation.
- Complete stock taking & prepare shopping lists as necessary.
- Order stock when required.
- General kitchen cleaning to follow cleaning schedule.
- Washing up, manually and by machine.
- Ensuring the kitchen is locked at all times
- Ensure the Dining Room is presented to high standards so that the students, staff & visitors enjoy a comfortable and welcoming environment.
- All areas are clean and tidy
All food products are attractively displayed
- Managing the kitchen budget for the year, keeping within the boundaries given.
- Ensure that all rubbish bins are emptied and all kitchen rubbish is disposed of or recycled correctly in the appropriate bins.
- Report all incidents to the School Secretary.
- Report any unsafe practices or broken machinery/equipment to the line manager, so that remedial action can be taken immediately.
- Use of all equipment as training observing all safe practices, so that accidents are avoided
- Follow COSHH procedures
- Participate in Level 2 food hygiene training and safety training as required
- Record keeping – ensure that necessary checks are made and recorded in accordance with regulations.
Arc Oakbridge School is part of the Kedleston Group and opened in 2018.
We are an independent special day school for children aged 7 – 16, in the Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham with a specially designed learning environment created to meet the needs of children and young people with autism. We provide a calm, low arousal, safe, positive and nurturing place where young people can learn and grow.
Class sizes are very small and classrooms are ‘enabling environments’ with sensory lighting, muted colours, individual work stations and visual timetables. The curriculum is designed to meet the specific academic, social, emotional and sensory needs of each individual young person.
Through close partnerships with families, professionals and the wider community our school ensures that all children and young people thrive and given the right start in life.
In return for your hard work and commitment we offer a competitive salary and other benefits including contributory pension scheme, comprehensive induction and ongoing training and professional development opportunities, refer-a-friend rewards, perks at work, employee assistance programme, birthday treats, employee of the month awards, cycle to work scheme.
Kedleston Group Limited is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check. We are an equal opportunities employer welcoming applications from all sections of the community.