Responsible to: Headteacher
We are currently recruiting for an School Counsellor to work in our Leaways School in Clapton. Leaways School provides a safe learning environment for pupils struggling with social, emotional and mental health problems (SEMH), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), opposition defiance disorder, conduct disorder or foetal alcohol syndrome. We also have a separate specialist area to support young people on the autistic spectrum (ASC) and a Primary unit.
1. To provide a high-quality counselling service to students experiencing a wide range of
2. To provide support, guidance and advice to parents, carers and the school.
3. To observe confidentiality and to support the school’s endeavour to provide excellent
teaching and learning for all students.
4. Contribute to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare and personal care of
children and young people
1. To be responsible for the confidential counselling services to students as needed.
2. To be responsible for advice and support to staff.
3. To be responsible for maintaining appropriate and confidential records.
4. To liaise with the Designated Safeguarding Lead on a frequent basis.
5. To provide regular audit information such as numbers, age range and types of problems to the
6. To have a thorough knowledge of the Mental Health provision locally and nationally.
7. To continually review and evaluate the service.
1. Deal with or report to the nearest member of the teaching staff, incidents that are seen or
reported regarding pupils’ welfare.
2. Be mindful, at all times, of the school’s Equal Opportunities policy.
Health and Safety
1. Be aware of the responsibility for personal Health, Safety and Welfare and that of others who
may be affected by your actions or inactions.
2. Co-operate with the employer on all issues to do with Health, Safety & Welfare.
Continuing Professional Development
1.Take responsibility for personal professional development, keeping up-to-date with research
and developments which may lead to improvements in the counselling service provided.
2.To arrange and deliver relevant training for staff as and when needs are identified.
Post-graduate Diploma or Masters level in Counselling or Psychotherapy
BACP Accreditation, UKCP registration or BPC
Further therapeutic training or qualification in working with children and young people
An understanding of the developmental, emotional, social and educational issues of
children and young people
An awareness of range of needs of people from diverse ethnic, cultural and social
Knowledge of local mental health and CAMHS Service
Knowledge of the Children’s Act and legislation pertaining to children
Minimum of 2 year’s post qualification experience
Minimum of 1 year’s experience of working with children and young people
Skills and Abilities
Good written and verbal communication skills
Ability to work independently
Positive communication and listening skills
Patience, tolerance and sensitivity
A mature and non-judgemental outlook
Kedleston Group Ltd is an independent provider of SEMH day and residential schools as well as children’s homes across England. We look for people who have the creativity and enthusiasm needed to deliver the best outcomes for the children and young people we support. We offer staff a comprehensive induction programme and ongoing training to ensure everyone is provided with the best possible start to their employment. Kedleston welcome and nurture staff through the organisation's training provision and seek staff and leaders who are motivated and focused in their delivery of the best education and care support. We have vacancies across England for management, teaching, care, support, administration and ancillary roles within this rapidly developing organisation.
Kedleston Group Ltd is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and requires all staff to act in the best interests of our pupils at all times. Successful candidates will be asked to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service.