Wings School Cumbria is an independent specialist school and children’s home nestled to the south of the glorious Lake District. They work with young people who have been affected by social and emotional challenges. There is a strong sense of community at Wings Cumbria where all young people feel safe and nurtured so they can achieve their potential.
The school is set within extensive grounds, both the grounds and the school buildings lend themselves to both on and off-site learning.
Part of the off-site learning includes the schools farm project expansion and egg selling programme. The children and young people are having the opportunity to learn how to be completely self-sufficient, which is very fitting for the current times.
This week some of the farm chicks have been hatching, and what could be more positive and fulfilling than watching a new little life being born! The young people couldn't be happier and are taking their new "parenting" responsibilities very seriously!
Here’s some eggcellent facts.......
- Eggs take 21 days to hatch.
- When they are ready to hatch the chick breaks the ‘lid’ off the egg and pushes itself out.
- Chicks have a tiny hook on the end of their beaks that they use to crack the shell, this falls off when they have hatched.
- It can take from 1 to 24 hours to hatch.
- On average chickens start laying eggs when they are approximately 6 months old.